Criminal Defense FAQs

These criminal defense FAQs can provide more insight as to how the Broomfield defense attorney at the Griffin Law Firm can provide you with the strongest defense in your case.

These criminal defense FAQs provide more insight as to how the Denver metro area defense attorney at the Griffin Law Firm can provide you with the strongest defense in your case.

The following criminal defense FAQs can provide some insight as to how our Broomfield criminal defense lawyer Christopher L. Griffin handles various criminal matters and consistently helps provide the accused with the strongest possible defense in their cases.

What should I do after being arrested?

If you are arrested, do NOT attempt to explain yourself to police, and resist answering any questions about the alleged crime or incident. Talking to police after an arrest could result in you saying something that could later hurt your defense case.

Instead, after being arrested, it will be critical that you obtain a defense lawyer to speak on your behalf as soon as possible. While an experienced defense attorney will know how to deal with police and can help get you out of jail sooner than you may otherwise have been able to be released, he can also start building you the strongest possible defense, which may be pivotal in getting the charges against you reduced or even dropped altogether.

How does a criminal case usually play out?

If criminal charges are filed against you, the ensuing case will generally proceed as follows:

  • A bail hearing will take place if you are arrested.
  • An arraignment will occur, at which time the official charges against you will be stated and you will file an official plea in your case.
  • Other pretrial proceedings may take place.
  • Plea deal talks may occur with the prosecutor.
  • A trial will ensue if no plea deal is reached.
  • The sentencing phase will follow if a conviction is handed down.

Keep in mind that not every criminal case proceeds in the same way and that working with an experienced defense lawyer can improve the possibility of the charges being dismissed.

Should I testify in my own defense?

The short answer is that it depends. While testifying in your own defense can help you explain yourself to a jury and may even allow your defense to introduce new crucial evidence, it can also open you up to a harsh interrogation by the prosecutor, which may hurt your defense if you are not prepared for such intense questioning (or if you may not be able to keep your cool under such intense pressure).

A skilled defense lawyer will not only be able to advise you regarding whether it’s a good idea to testify in your case, but he can also help you prepare in the event that you choose to do so.

How long will it take to resolve my case?

Again, the short answer here is that it depends. The specific types of charges filed against you, as well as the specific circumstances associated with your case, will affect whether your case goes to trial, whether a plea deal is the best option for you and ultimately how long it takes to resolve your case. Meeting with an experienced defense lawyer to discuss the specifics of your case can give you a better idea of how long it will take to resolve your legal matters.

When is it a good idea to consider accepting a plea deal?

In general, it can be a good idea for an accused individual to accept a plea deal in his criminal case if:

  • He wants to resolve his case as soon as possible.
  • He is facing a significant possibility of conviction, and a conviction could result in years in prison and other harsh penalties.
  • The plea deal results in significantly reduced charges and, consequently, a far lighter sentence.

The Broomfield, Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer at the Griffin Law Firm

If you or your loved one has been arrested for and/or formally charged with any crime, the Broomfield criminal defense attorney at the Griffin Law Firm wants you to know that our legal professionals are ready to immediately start providing you with the strongest possible defense.

To receive a complete evaluation of your case, along with professional advice regarding your best options for moving forward, contact us by calling 303-280-1070 or by emailing us using the form at the top of this page.